Monday, May 30, 2005

2nd job - soul destroying but worth it

G'day,

I've bitten the bullet, taken a deep breath and taken the plunge. i've got me a 2nd job. I need the money.

I've taken on probably one of the most soul destroying-make you feel like a piece of doggy-doo jobs on the planet tho. I'm a market researcher. I do telephone surveys. I'm the guy who calls you at dinner time to bug you about your opinion on any lame arse topic that some even more lame-arse company thinks is necessary.

To paraphrase one one my friends, Brenda, yes - "I'm one of THEM!"

At the moment we're ringing people and asking them their opinion on the state of and quality of public transportation in Vancouver. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the frequency of service of bus number X" on repeat about a million timed per survey on every little nuance of PT you could think of... I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now, and I couldn't tell you how many times I've been hung up on at the point, "Hi, my name is Tony, I'm calling from Synovate, a professional research company in Vancouver..." BEEP, BEEP BEEP.

Our target is an average 1.15 surveys per hour, and each one takes about 10-15 minutes. Not very high, but I'm lucky to get anywhere near this. Think about it. If I do get the one (and a bit) required surveys every hour, I then spend the next 45-50 minutes having the phone hung up in my ear, getting abused (get a life, mate!), or listening to increasingly weird answer machine messages. All for the princely sum of $8.50 per hour....before tax. THIS AIN'T FUN!

I've been doing this for a month or so now, but thankfully, i'm only on for three 4 hour shifts per week - any more than that and i'd go even more stir crazy than I already am.

But, it will all be worth it come September when I'm loafing about California in the sun, and about $1200 richer than I would be otherwise.

Talk Soon,

Tony

No comments: